Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The key to Enlightenment is in my dryer

I have many blog posts swirling inside my brain. I'm going to start with this one, because if I don't start somewhere, I won't start...

I made an actual decision. I had access to (loaned) money, to my own research skills, to a pro/con list and a delightfully cute sounding board. I MADE my OWN decision. One that I will live with and be happy with (or not) and I'm incredibly proud of myself.

Sunday, ex decides he wants his washer and dryer back. I say, sure, whatever. Monday, I'm determined to get my own. My very own washer and dryer. Can we say adult? I hit the pavement first thing after class and discover that this is going to be at least a couple hundred dollars MORE than I was expecting. Deep breaths. Then, I meet M. in S*ars...she is a stellar saleswoman, and actually found me a dream mix-match set that I really love. It totals $900 without delivery, whips, vents, etc (this is starting to sound kinky...hehe). I tell her to hold them (thanks, J.V.) and go look at W*lson's. Here, I'm greeted by the service manager, J, who tries to up sell me, and I flat out refuse. I get a washer/dryer set for $600 and change. Including delivery. Not at all the set I dreamt of, but a set I can use and more important: I can afford.

The process of decision making has never been my strength. I'm the friend who says, "whatever you want," the girlfriend who "doesn't care. Really." But I do care, I do have wants and needs. I've put myself on the backburner long enough. I'm slowly realizing that taking care of myself doesn't mean pissing everyone around me off. It doesn't mean that everyone will hate me. This may start with a dryer...but it's going to be something really good...or at least fluffy and dry.

No comments: