Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Techno-love



Dating: When do you know you're ready to begin dating again? Is it when you realize you're waking up lonely? When you are horny? When you just need someone to laugh with during the funny part of W.eeds? Perhaps when you no longer wake up in agony over whether you made the right choice or not?

According to several friends and coworkers, doing it (finding someone) online no longer has all that social stigma attached to it as it once did. I'm not sure I buy into that - I think that people judge everyone. We judge where people get coffee, buy groceries, what they wear and how much they pay for gas: why wouldn't we judge where or how they met their partner? I will give the "pros" their props: Online dating is a streamlined, organized way of cutting to the chase. I've already fallen "madly in-love" with a few well written profiles. After perusing the personals at several sites, however - what are people thinking when they post some of these pictures? Example: one man posted a picture of him in his football gear. Wouldn't be so bad, if it weren't circa 1987!

I raise my glass to those who have found love on the web. I'm smitten by the ease (not expense, mind you - damn!) of it all, in the meantime, I'll keep lurking on those sites - until my gut tells me I'm finally ready.

No comments: