Friday, February 27, 2009

He's TOTALLY into me

I just finished reading this for book club. Yes. Really. None of us were quite in the mood a couple months ago for something incredibly deep. That, and we really wanted to watch the movie and compare. So here I go...

I'm going to start with the movie - it was kitchy. I laughed, some; I groaned, a lot (nothing worse than seeing larger than life images of things you've done in [or trying to be in] relationships that seem horrible to you now - but you know that you've done worse). The cast was all fine, the plot not to deep - it was actually a pretty fun outing with the girls. I digress...

This book. It's not really for those looking for an amazing read - it's a workbook. I said so many times while reading it, I wish someone had handed me this at 15, but honestly, I wasn't ready to read it then. I still believed I could "fix" them all. In my almost 30 years, I've learned a LOT about who I am and what I deserve as that fine, smart, sassy woman. I've been through some pretty rocky roads, mostly trying to fix other people or make them like me more, or just plain put up with crap because I was too scared to be alone or they were (fill in the blank with something that is just not worth the energy). That's the point of this book - to pull women's heads out of their asses and show them what they deserve - because in the end, profound, meaningful love is SO much better.

And I know...I found it! The rest of this post is dedicated to gushing about the most amazing guy ever. If you aren't in for a saccharine-y sweet love post...stop reading now (you've been warned).

He's it. "The one"...the partner that every person wishes they had and feels they deserve. He puts the action into love, he doesn't just say it. God, that sounds so cliche. But if I could try and flip open my head while I was reading this book. The book that said, "don't waste the pretty" it would be like seeing my current relationship in it's amazing, ethereal light. Even during my overly predictable (and the occasional surprise) backslides of confidence, he patiently reassures me of how great I am. Because I am. I'm great. But I'm not just great alone - I'm great with him. Not in a "you complete me" kinda crap; in that wow - what was I thinking that life was ever so great before? NOW I know how it feels to be in love, to be respected, to really want to commit myself to someone for the REST of my life. It's astonishing, remarkable, refreshing, and most of all - it's so deep and energizing...and at the same time it also gives me this amazing sense of calm. Calm that I can (eventually) accomplish what needs to be done. Calm that no matter what - I have a true partner in crime. Calm that at the spur of the moment, we can disagree and still be madly in love.

I'm not a dope. I'm definitely not naive. If anything, I was jaded by years of hurt, years of letting myself settle for whatever came my way. No more. You've ruined me forever, J. I'm yours.

No comments: